Krill Oil Capsules are Not All the Same

Krill Oil Capsules

Krill oil capsules may seem to be interchangeable, but they are not. How many times have you been told to read the label when purchasing anything that will go into your body?

This is generally good advice because you want to know exactly what is entering your system and what you can expect it to do once there.

The problem with reading the label on most supplements is that they are often misleading.

Some supplements hide ingredients from consumers by including them in propriety blends. You know that these blends include multiple ingredients, but you may not know exactly what ingredients are included.

When the ingredients are revealed, you aren’t given the exact amount of each ingredient included.

Current regulations only require that supplements contain 75% of the ingredients advertised.

That means a krill oil supplement must contain at least 75% krill oil. Manufacturers creating cheap krill oil supplements will use fillers for the remaining 25%. Those fillers are not useful to your body, so you aren’t getting as much benefit from your supplement as you may believe.

What’s Really in Your Supplement?

High-quality krill oil capsules are made with pure krill oil without the addition of useless fillers.

This does cost a bit more because manufacturers are diluting their final product to cut production expenses, but the extra benefit to your body is more than worth the slight increase in price.

One way to tell the quality of your chosen supplement is to look at its color. The best pills are very dark, appearing almost black.

When you see a lighter color, you can bet that the oil is diluted with fillers in order to cut expenses.

The Original Source

Where did the manufacturer get the krill used to create their oil? The best krill oil capsules are created from healthy krill found in Antarctic waters.

Studies have found that seafood obtained from this area are healthier and safer for human consumption.

When you come across cheap supplements that don’t mention where their krill are obtained from, you can bet that they weren’t sourced from the best bodies of water.

Those that go to the extra expense to find high-quality krill will let you know about their sourcing and processing standards.

They want you to recognize the value of their product, so they make a point of stating where their krill are found and how they’re processed to maintain the integrity of the oil until it reaches the end consumer (that’s you).

The Fine Details

Oftentimes, what sets the best krill oil supplement apart from mediocre supplements are the small details.

For instance, one manufacturer may offer a double the outer coating so that the fishy smell is contained inside.

This doesn’t affect the quality of the product or your body’s ability to break down the coating and make use of the oil, but it does eliminate one of the most unpleasant elements of taking omega-3 oil supplements.

When looking for a good krill supplement, start by determining where the krill are sourced, what processes are used to produce the capsules, and whether fillers are used to dilute the oil.

From there, you can look at double coatings and other small features that may make one product more appealing than others.

You want the #1 species of krill, the Euphausia superba Krill, or E. superba krill.

There are about 65 species of krill. The above mentioned is by far the best and comes from clean waters. 

Third Party Tested Krill Oil

One of the best and most effective ways to choose krill oil is to find one that is third party tested with no vested interest!

IFOS/IKOS (Nutra source Diagnostics Inc.) is an International Fish/Krill Oil Standards Program. They do the following: 

IFOS tests products for:

  • Omega-3 content (EPA+DHA) compared to the label
  • Purity (contaminants, heavy metals)
  • Stability

You should get all YES's for the following testing ( tests for:

  1. Meets EPA, DHA and phospholipid label claims – YES 
  2. Meets astaxanthin label claims – YES 
  3. Meets PCB, PCDD/F and DL-PCB standards – YES 
  4. Meets peroxide standards – YES 
  5. Meets heavy metal standards – YES

This is our 1st choice: Click Here to see! 

Related Articles about
Krill Oil Capsules and Supplements:

Krill Oil Capsules are Not All the Same

Return from Krill Oil Capsules to the Home Page