Think the best uses of coconut oil are only for cooking? No way. We found 50 of the best uses of coconut oil that you may not have considered.
There are thousands of recipes circulating online that use coconut oil as a primary ingredient, but what else can you do with this healthy oil? It turns out there are many ways to put coconut oil to good use, and this list will give you 50 great ideas.
1. Moisturize your skin by rubbing coconut oil into your pores in a circular pattern. When in solid form, warm the coconut oil in your hands for a few seconds before applying. A little goes a long way, and you want to wipe off any excess oil when you’re finished. This is also a good ingredient to add if you make homemade skincare products.
2. Rub coconut oil around the eyes or the corners of your mouth to fight wrinkles. You can also mix it with essential oils proven to fight the signs of aging, creating your own natural eye cream.
3. Add it to your coffee in place of creamer or use in your smoothie with artificial sweetener for tons of flavor and many nutritional benefits. It works well for a smoothie with tropical flavors.
4. Lightly coat fresh eggs with coconut oil. The oil will seal pores on the outside of the shell, extending the life of your eggs by up to two weeks.
5.Use coconut oil in liquid or solid state to replace the butter or vegetable oil when baking. You’ll pack in more nutrients while creating more flavorful baked goods.
6. Use as a topical treatment for hemorrhoids. It may help relieve the pain while you’re recovering.
7. Apply coconut butter on freshly shaven skin to soften and moisturize the pores. This is also a soothing experience after tender areas of the body are shaved.
8. One of the best uses of coconut oil is in the place of butter. Solid coconut oil will spread easily over toast or a muffin while introducing a coconut aroma that makes eating more enjoyable. You’ll benefit from the nutritional benefits of the oil while adding unique flavor to your food.
9. Use alone or add to homemade acne treatments to help clean and clear your skin naturally.
10. Do you have a pet struggling with itchy, dry skin? Rub coconut oil into their pores for a little relief. You can turn the treatment into a massage session if you want to give them a little treat and some special attention.
11. Cover cold sores with coconut oil for faster healing.
12. Warm the oil and use it as a hot oil treatment for your hair. It will nourish and moisturize, leaving your locks full of bounce and shine.
13. This is the perfect oil to add to your homemade shampoos and conditioners. Not only is it moisturizing, but it adds a fresh coconut scent that the final product.
14. Give sweet potatoes a touch of flavor as well as a nutritional boost by adding a drizzle of coconut oil along with cinnamon. You can also add other toppings, using the coconut oil as a substitute for butter.
15. Wash cradle cap off of your baby’s head gently by giving the scalp a light coconut oil massage and then rinsing off with water or wipe with a warm washcloth.
16. Take the sting out of mosquito bites by rubbing oil over your skin. You can do this several times a day safely.
17. Does your baby have a tender bottom? You can apply coconut oil directly to your baby’s skin and it will help soothe and heal the skin. It’s also far more affordable than diaper rash creams.
18. Keep coconut oil by the kitchen sink and use it as a lotion after washing dishes. You’ll keep your hands from drying out from soap exposure.
19. Place a small amount of coconut oil on a soft cloth and use it to
remove makeup naturally. Rub over your eyelids and other areas of your
face with makeup in a gentle, circular motion, and then wipe off with a
warm cloth. You’ll avoid the chemicals that are often included in
commercial makeup remover wipes while saving some money.
20. Make your own energy-boosting sports drink by mixing fresh or frozen fruit, chia seeds, and coconut oil to a water bottle. Infusion drink bottles provide a central core to add these ingredients quickly and without making a mess.
21. When a child brings head lice home from school, cover their hair with coconut oil and apple cider vinegar before wrapping it up with a tight shower cap. Wait several hours before washing it out, and then pick through the hair with a fine-toothed comb. The oil should smother the live bugs while the comb removes nits. You may need to repeat this process and continue combing for nits for a week or longer, but this is a natural way to eliminate lice.
22. Do you have real leather in your home that needs shined? Rub some coconut oil over the leather to restore its natural shine. You want to start out with a small area in a discreet location as a test.
23. To whiten your teeth and protect your gums from disease, use a mixture of coconut oil, peppermint oil, spearmint leaf oil, and sweet almond oil with a bit of baking soda and rinse your teeth daily. You’ll kill a lot of the bacteria that leads to gum disease and tooth decay while giving your breath a minty freshness that lasts for hours.
24. Rub oil just beneath your nose or inside your nostrils to relieve a runny nose or other allergy symptoms.
25. Another one of the best uses of coconut oil is to substitute it for other oils when you’re cooking at high temperatures. Coconut oil has a higher smoke point than most other oils, so it will stand up to intense heat while remaining stable.
26. Add this oil to your homemade soap recipes. It will offer a fresh scent while breaking down oils and grease. It can also stabilize the final product so that your soap is harder.
27. Mix with mint and other essential oils to create a natural bug repellent that actually smells good. Catnip and rosemary are two additional oils that may work.
28. Are you elbows, heels, or knees dry and chalky? Rub coconut into the skin daily to moisturize and create a silky smooth feel.
29. Combine the oil with lavender and other soothing essential oils to create a natural treatment for minor burns and cuts. Frankincense and melaleuca are other good options for your mixture.
30. Apply coconut oil as a full-body moisturizer when you step out of the shower. It’s a natural way to hold in moisture, and you’ll enjoy the fresh coconut scent. If you prefer a solid cream rather than a straight oil, mix coconut oil with shea butter and whip it into a smooth body cream.
31. Some users insist that rubbing coconut oil into their scalps daily helps their hair grow faster. While there are many other natural ways to stimulate hair growth, you can’t lose by giving this one a try. You can also add coconut oil to your favorite shampoos and conditioners if you want to combine cleaning your hair with treating your scalp.
32. Take the sting out of a sore throat by swallowing up to 1 teaspoon of coconut oil two or three times per day.
33. Mix honey, lemon, fennel root, and coconut oil to create a natural immunity booster. It may help you avoid the germs being passed around the office or school!
34. Apply coconut oil whenever a fungal infection breaks out. From your feet to other areas of skin, this is a safe way to kill the fungus and restore health to your skin with time.
35. Rub directly over age spots daily. If used consistently, it can help lighten the spots so that they’re less noticeable.
36. Rub over cellulite or varicose veins on a daily basis. When used consistently, this can make the veins or cellulite lines less visible.
37. Melt beeswax, coconut oil, and shea butter together and then pour into used chapstick containers. It will solidify, and then you can push it up and use it to soothe and heal cracked, dry lips. This will save you money while eliminating some of the chemicals and preservatives from your life. There are many ways to add color to your chapstick as well!
38. Polish wood with this oil to create a slick, shiny appearance. It can also protect the health of the wood, allowing your furniture to last longer.
39. Rubbing coconut oil over your nails and into your cuticles could help your nails grow faster. You need to do this daily for a long period of time to see the best results.
40. Massage this oil over dry, cracked nipples to provide relief when breastfeeding. Many nipple creams contain harsh ingredients that you don’t want your baby to ingest while feeding, but this is a natural solution for breastfeeding moms that you don’t have to worry about.
41. Enjoy a spa day at home by adding coconut oil and Epsom salt to your bathwater and soaking. You’ll nourish and hydrate your skin while the salt pulls impurities from your pores. Add your favorite essential oils to create an aromatherapy bath that calms your mind and relieves stress.
42. Mix with sugar and other nourishing, hydrating essential oils to create a silky body scrub. Keep this in the shower in a container with a tight lid, and note that it can make the floor of your shower slick during and after use.
43. Create a homemade massage oil to add a little romance into your life. You can also use massage oils to relieve tension or soothe achy joints and muscles. Use coconut oil in liquid form alone or with essential oils with a soothing, relaxing scent.
44. Consume with chia seeds to beat an energy slump. This is a proven combination that will pump up your energy reserves in the morning or late afternoon, so mix the oil with the seeds and enjoy on a slice of toast.
45. Get bubble gum out of a child’s hair by lathering it up with coconut oil. After a good hair massage, wash it right out.
46. Rub the oil into your skin for light protection against damaging sun rays while you drive or walk through parking lots. You don’t want to depend on this alone when you’re at the pool or otherwise spending the day in intense sunlight, but it is a good option for light protection when you’re in and out of sunlight during the day.
47. You can use this oil to condition cutting boards and season cast iron pans.
48. Some women use small amounts of coconut oil as a natural vaginal lubricant. The flavor is appealing, and you won’t have to worry about buying lubricants at the store.
49. Cover your hair in coconut butter and then wrap a shower cap over your head. Wait at least three or four hours before washing it out and shampooing with your everyday product. This is a deep-conditioning method that will leave your hair silky and squeaky clean for a special occasion.
50. Make your own toothpaste by mixing coconut and peppermint oil with baking soda. There are many other ingredients that you can add to create toothpastes that rival commercial brands in terms of taste and effectiveness. Google recipes if you’re interested in keeping your teeth healthy without worrying about the chemicals used in store-bought products.
Do you know of other best uses of coconut oil or ways to use coconut oil for improved health? Send us a note to contribute to the conversation and help other people stay healthy.