Best Vegan Omega-3 Supplements – Our Top 5 Favorites
If you don’t want to eat huge bowls of leafy greens and swallow tablespoons of flaxseed oil every day, your best option is to take a vegan omega-3 supplements.
Since the most omega-rich foods are animal products, vegans have to consciously add omega-3 foods into their diets. Vegan Omega-3 options are similar to fish oil supplements, but they’re made from natural sources that are compatible with the vegan lifestyle.
Top Vegan Omega-3 Supplements
There are thousands of omega-3 supplements on the market today, and it’s not always easy to determine which ones are truly vegan. To help you find the vegan Omega-3 supplements that will keep your body healthy and your vegan lifestyle authentic, we tracked down some of the highest-quality vegan supplements available today. The following five are our top picks.
- Amala Vegan Omega DHA + EPA – Vegan algae is the base for this omega-3 supplement. Fatty fish get their omega-3 by eating this algae in the ocean, so it only makes sense to bypass the fish and go straight to the source. This is a non-GMO product that is 100% natural, and each bottle is covered by a no-hassle guarantee. If you don’t like it, simply send it back for a complete refund. The capsules are easy to swallow.
- DEVA Vegan Vitamins Vegan DHA – This is an easy-swallow soft gel that provides 200 mg of DHA. The source is vegan algae, and you can take multiple gels daily to get your desired dose of omega-3 fatty acids. Note that this is a pure DHA supplement, so it doesn’t contain the EPA that you need to consume on a daily basis.
- Nordic Naturals Algae Omega – This is one of the most reputable brand names in the omega-3 supplement market, so we were thrilled to see that they make an algae-based vegan alternative. Each serving contains more than 700 mg of omega-3, and 500 mg of that comes from DHA and EPA. It’s available in a soft gel that is easy to swallow.
- Flora 7 Sources Oil – If you don’t mind swallowing an oil rather than a capsule or soft gel, this is a great option. It’s a blend of natural oils that contain omega-3 fatty acids, including flaxseed oil, pumpkin seed oil, sesame seed oil, coconut oil and primrose oil. It also contains algae. Each teaspoon contains less than 200 mg of EPA and DHA combined, so you will need to take multiple servings per day to get an adequate dosage.
- Bloom Burp-Less Algae Vegan Omega 3 – The omega-3 in this supplement is sourced from farm-raised algae that has never been exposed to the toxins found in our oceans. This is believed to eliminate the fishy burps that come with many fish oil supplements. A two-capsule serving delivers 1,000 mg of omega-3 fatty acids, but less than 500 mg comes from EPA and DHA.
All of these vegan Omega-3 supplements are vegan-friendly and contain enough omega-3 fatty acids to supplement your healthy diet. As you compare your options, think about your budget, the availability of the product, and whether you prefer capsules, tablets, oils or other supplement forms.
This is a supplement that you want to take every day, so consider finding an option that is automatically sent to your doorstep each month by Amazon. You’ll get a discount for ordering the auto-shipment, and your supply should never run out. You may also stock up with a bulk order, but make sure that you can consume all of your product before it expires.
Return to the Oil Health Supplements Home Page